Hummus is a versatile and delicious Middle Eastern spread of seasoned mashed chickpeas. Fortunately for backpackers it is available in a just add water powdered form. This recipe combines hummus with tuna, dried cranberries and string cheese for a tasty cracker treat.
- Cashah Hummus Garbanzo Bean Dip Mix (6.0 Oz)
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 12 Wasa Multigrain Crispbread Crackers
- 1 or 2 foil packages StarKist Tuna Creations (4.5 Oz each)
- 1 small bag dried cranberries
- 6 sticks of string cheese
- Repackage hummus mix in zip lock freezer bag or container appropriate for re-hydration in the wilderness.
- Repackage other ingredients (crackers, cranberries, etc.) as desired.
- Add water gradually to powered mix in zip lock bag.
- Massage in zip lock back to eliminate lumps and achieve desired texture.
- Spread a thick layer onto Wasa crispbreads.
- Add a layer of seasoned tuna onto hummus.
- Sprinkle cranberries on top. Press gently with fingers or spoon to secure.
- Peel and cover with string cheese.
- Add olive oil to hummus mix for increased calories and flavor.
- Consider using flavored tunas such as Herb Garlic, Lemon Pepper, Sweet and Spicy.