Sure they take time and fuel to prepare. And if you want them cooked all the way through, it really helps to have a backpacking stove with a simmer control. But for layover days, or late start days, there is just nothing like fresh off the grill blueberry pancakes.
Makes 8 pancakes
- 1 package Betty Crocker Just Add Water Blueberry Muffin Mix (6.5 ounces)
- 2/3 cup water (or mixed powdered milk to add calories)
- 1 small plastic container of maple syrup
- 1 small plastic container of cooking oil
- None required.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix with water. Stir until there are no lumps.
- Oil a small fry pan and bring to medium heat (a drop of water should sizzle and dance in the pan).
- Spoon in batter, covering with a lid or foil to accelerate cooking.
- Flip pancake when bubbles form and edges dry. They should be golden brown.
- Cook a few minutes more on other side, then serve hot smothered with maple syrup.
- If available, pick and cover with fresh huckleberries or blue berries.
- For variety add dried fruit or dark chocolate chips to the mix.
- Consider topping with fruit jam instead of syrup.